RURAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
The mandate of the department
- To create a conducive environment for private sector investment in the local economy
- To facilitate the transformation of the second economy to contribute meaningful within the local economy
- Facilitating development and refurbishment of economic infrastructure e.g
- Special Economic Zone (SEZ),
- Vulindlela industrial park
- Agri-Park and rural economic hub
- Small industrial hub e.g. Transido, Broadband connectivity and small radiation system
- Providing business services and support to SMMEs and cooperative.
- Promoting industrialization of local economy through industrial cluster and value chain development. Priority includes agriculture, tourism, forestry, retail, manufacturing and construction.
- Stimulating an inclusive economic growth and development e.g. informal trading support and development.
- Promoting inward investment both in green field and brown field sectors
The Functional Areas of Department of Local Economic Development are:
- The Economic Development function
- Major Events
- Social development including Arts and Culture
- Outdoor advertising and signage (environmental controls) and heritage resources management
- Agricultural support and development
- Sports & Recreation facilities
- Business Improvement
- Customer Information & Marketing
- Nursery School Retirement Centres & Educational facilities
- Parks Gardens and Swimming Pools